Thursday, September 11, 2008

Love of the Game

I'm back! Hooray! As you may have noticed, I haven't had as much time to post (good) entries here as I thought I would. Sorry about that. And I'm even more sorry that this and the next post going up have nothing to do with Spain. Rest assured, I'm working on them, but they're just not entertaining enough to put up yet. Nevertheless, here's a post I wrote a few days ago, on 9/11 actually, about my interest in politics.

If there´s one thing I´ve learned in Madrid about myself is that my love of politics is deep and inescapable. When I was signing up for the program, I thought it would be good to get away from politics for a while. I was correct. At about the time AU Abroad had its confirmation/ info session, the Democrats had just had the Pennsylvania primary took place and I had had enough of the thing.

And I think I´ve still had enough. I´ve said for a while that this race would, in the end, be nasty. Some of this stuff that´s been going on, from both sides, is just sickening. But I´m still more interested than ever, hungry for news, eager to share my opinion, excited to hear others´, and concerned for my country - the last one even more so, being so far away from it.

So, in honor of my newly discovered, evidently permanent zeal for politics (and a lenghty survey of the news in the basement - terrace, for you AU students - computer lab of the AU center here, I´ve posted the links to two (short) articles, not on the presidential race, but on politics in general today. They´re both fascinating, and quite good.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postpartisan/2008/09/why_do_lies_prevail.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1840388,00.html

Next time: They Might Be Giants.

No comments: