Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Welcome!

Hi Everyone! Welcome to Ryan's Blog from Madrid (and other fun places too)! This is probably the last time I'll update this blog. Thanks for visiting!

Just kidding! As you may have guessed, I'm Ryan, and yes, I'll be in Madrid for quite some time.

I think I'm at least the fifth person I know to start a study abroad blog for this semester, so I really appreciate your readership and apologize for being so late to the game. If you aren't reading any other blogs, great! I'm glad I have your undivided attention. If you are reading others, also great. Either way, I'm going to try very hard to make this blog fun and interesting for both of us.

Since this is the first time I'm writing a blog where I can set the ground rules, I'll lay out the game plan: I'll try very hard to update this blog at least weekly, and more if possible. I think the first few weeks will be a good indicator of my pace, so reload the site more often than you ordinarily would during that time to see how I'm doing.

Never mind, new plan: I´ll only be able to update the blog when I have internet access, and judging by how this first week's been going, I won't have it quick or consistent internet. In fact, I'm paying about .02 Euros/ minute right now to use this computer in an internet cafe in Granada, and the European keyboards are frustrating. But more on that later. What I'll probably end up doing is typing up multiple entries on my computer and uploading them all to the web when I get the chance. When it rains it pours, I guess.

Anyway, sometimes I'll have a lot to say, and sometimes I'll have hardly anything to say (Hard to believe, I know, but that's just how my brain works, regardless of what's going on around me. In fact, I hope this blog will help me break of that habit and others, like my habit of being a fairly slow and unnecessarily meticulous writer.) Also expect some commentary on the election (I just can't help myself), particularly how Europeans feel about America and our politics (although I'm sure you can guess).

That´s about it. Oh, I almost forgot. Fun fact: the web address for this blog Ramon Luis Maiz, is a pun on my name. Ramon (my Spanish first name, throughout junior high and high school, at least), Luis (a logical Spanish name for my middle name, Louis), and Maiz (the Spanish word for corn.)

And please leave comments and feedback, ask me questions, tell me what you think of my writing, and things you'd like me to write about. I hope this place can be a forum as well.

I think we're off to a good start! Enjoy my Blog from Madrid (and other fun places too)!

*Next time: Thoughts on Traveling to Belarus, the country the U.S. State Department calls "The Last Dictatorship in Europe."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What, you couldn't find a Spanish translation for "Hussein"? :)

As weird as this is going to sound, I never knew you were such an engaging writer. Keep it up, and those of us back in the states will share the adventure vicariously. :D

Con mucho gusto,
Amanda